Monday, June 21, 2010

My first week at BYU

One week down.

I love it here! My first week was really fun and a little challenging. I'm pretty used to where all my classes are, but there is still a lot of campus that I haven't really gotten to know well yet. Classes really just jump right in here for summer term. We've already covered about 60 pages in Human Development and in Trigonometry we cover 2 sections a day. There is quite a bit of homework and reading, but I'm keeping up with it.

Human Development is a 2.5 hour block class, twice a week. It's really long, but it is super interesting. I guess we'll see if it stays that way. It's so different from high school here. My professors have all have doctorates in the fields they teach so I really know what they are talking about. They can teach from experience, rather than just reading a textbook to you.

My social dance class is really fun. I'm doing better than I thought I would be, and it's a good class to get to know more people in. Racquetball seems like it will be a pretty fun class, too.

So, I live down in Helaman Halls, and it's pretty crazy around here. It's mostly freshmen, and I know a lot of people from being in the same ward for church. Guys are always hanging around our lobby and my hall is kinda noisy during the afternoon. I will definitely be using the library to study a lot. I have a feeling that not much actually gets done around here.

Speaking of the library, it's HUGE! I was going there with my friends Spencer and Dan to work on our Human Development. We were in the elevator and we saw a little sign for a room that plays classical music, so we set off to look for it. We probably wandered around for like an hour before we asked someone for directions and found it. Once we were there our study session was very successful.

I have been so busy this week. It's kind of funny because all I really have planned from day to day is classes, but every waking minute of my day is filled with stuff to do before I know it. Sometimes I need to run to the bookstore to get something for a class, try to find a counselor to talk to about fall scheduling, or run back to my dorm to pick up something I forgot. Once you add eating and, of course, studying I barely have any time for myself. I spend most of my spare time hanging out with my friends here and getting to know them better. Then what's left after that is spent sleeping. :) My schedule just happens to keep me up on campus during lunch time almost everyday, so I've been having a little trouble remembering to and finding time to eat.

I am very proud of the fact that I have been getting up at 6 every morning to go for a run. A few of the guys or Sarah usually come with me, so I have more motivation to get out of bed. I don't want to just leave them waiting outside for me if I am sleeping, after all. Actually this morning only my friend Spencer showed up and I was so tired that we just ended up going for a walk. But at least I am getting up and exercising in the morning.

I guess that's about all for now. This week has been really, really good, but I miss all of you back home!

6 comments:

  1. EVERYONE:

    If you are excited to talk to Abbey or like something she did, you need to say "YABBEY!"

    It means "YAY ABBEY!", but it's shorter!

    YABBEY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job running every day! Your days will get more normal once you have taken care of all the odds & ends errands that the beginning of every semester brings. You're great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you still going to school there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YABBEY!!

    Genki desuka?
    Daigaku wa tanoshii??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abbey, Your dad told me to tell you to stop being lazy and write another post. haha. I miss you and hope you are having fun at college. We will definitely need to get together when you come back to Ironwood.!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Abbey,

    I was just wondering how the rest of your year at BYU went. It's been like 18ish months and I'm waiting for an update.

    Take care!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete